What to Ask: Yourself and Your Retailer
Things to Ask Yourself
The more thoroughly you can answer these questions, the easier it will be to choose a Congoleum floor covering.
- What kind of lifestyle do I lead? Do I have kids? Pets? Do I need an extremely durable floor or is my household fairly calm with only adults living in the home?
- What will the light source be like in my room? Is there a lot of natural light where floors may look brighter or is my space darker where a floor may appear darker?
- Should I purchase a sample online so that I can view the flooring in my room?
- What do I want my flooring to coordinate with? My cabinets, countertops, window treatments, fabrics, paint color?
- What type of room is this, are spills likely to occur? Will this floor get wet?
- What is the existing style of the room? Contemporary? Traditional? What is the design style of the rest of my home?
- What colors am I drawn to?
- Do I want my flooring to stand out or blend in?
- Will I be living here or do I want to sell my home?
- How big is this room?
- Are there many pieces of stable furniture, such as a kitchen island or cabinet set in this room?
Things to Ask Your Retailer
Ask the tough questions about potential hidden costs, installation and anything you don’t understand. This is a purchase that often only occurs every 7-10 years. To make sure you are satisfied with your purchase ask the questions upfront.
- Can I take a sample home with me?
- My space is (above, below) ground, how might this affect my installation?
- Can I use Underflor or a floating installation in this case to save on installation costs and subfloor prep?
- Is there a charge for in-home measuring? If so, will this be deducted from the cost of the flooring when I purchase?
- Does the cost include installation? Does it include underlayment if I need this?
- Who is responsible for removing old flooring if necessary?
- What are the benefits of one Congoleum product choice over another?
- Do you offer design advice?
- How long will it take to complete my installation? How quickly after purchase will it be installed?
- Is there a guarantee on the installation work?
- Are there any extra charges that I might not expect?
- Is there an extra carton or two of tile included in the measurement so that repairs can be made in the future?